Re: [SLUG] ipchains

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 05:32:32PM +1000, David (david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I just installed RH7.1 firewalled. I'm trying to modify what I did and all
> I can find is /etc/sysconfig/ipchains. This file deprecates manual
> customising (see below). I can't find any other way of doing it. Is there
> a tool? I've looked on google, but obviously in the wrong place.

The file contains the output of

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains save

 /sbin/ipchains-save -v > /etc/ipchains.rules

There are a number of ways to change the content of that file which
is put in there by the commands above.

You can do it by "hand" writing a script with rules aka (stopping external pop3 requests)

 ipchains -A ppp0-in -p tcp -s pop-3 -d -j DROP

or use

 "firewall-config" form the system menu

or use

BUT before you do that you *MUST* read:

"There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn lies, and statistics." - Disraeli

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia