Re: [SLUG] Have free space, but 100% used?

<quote who="Rob B">

> Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?

Not yet...

> /dev/sda3               482249    469491         0     100%   /var
>
> How can I get some space back? If you need further info, let me know

rm? :)

If you're running Debian, the first thing to do is "apt-get autoclean". This
will remove all the previous packages from your apt cache.

Other than that, you'll want to look in /var/log and perhaps /var/tmp for
big files. Run "du -h" to see what's going on. If you find that there are
huge logs for a given program (or your messages, syslog or one of the other
log files is huge), then it's time to start figuring out who's unhappy.

Have a bit of a delve into your /var and email us with the details.

- Jeff

--
    Ye shall be cursed to fall in love so easily, and yet be so cold of
                       heart as never to express it.