SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Nessusd needs a public server
- To: SLUG mailing list <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Nessusd needs a public server
- From: Del <del@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu Jul 12 21:06:02 2001
- Organization: Babel Com Australia
Andrew Eager wrote:
> Why aren't there any public servers out there running a nessusd ?
Because if they were then many many crackers would use them to remotely
and anonymously portscan large blocks of the internet. Since the scans
would appear to come from the nessus server itself rather than the
crackers, and nessus doesn't do a great deal of logging, they would be
almost impossible to track down.
I run a nessus server on the internet for my own purposes so I can
port scan my clients on request and do other forms of system auditing.
I don't open it up to Joe Public, however.