Re: [SLUG] RAID advice wanted

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Clarke" <johnc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] RAID advice wanted

> Thanks John, Ian and Marty for your replies.

Hey you'll get more, just watch this.....

> I'm after the redundancy so that the server stays up if a drive fails.
> I don't need superfast performance.  The lower performance of software
> RAID is acceptable.

After reading some of the replies, some may have had "no problems" with
software RAID, probably because they haven't had any problems.

> What I do need though is for the system to keep running if a drive
> fails, and for it to be easy to replace the dead drive.  If the server
> has to be taken down for a couple of minutes to install a replacement
> drive, that's OK.

trust me, if your disk drive 0 fails and you are running software raid, you
will be down for more than a couple of minutes.  booting without a unit 0
can be a hassle.

Correct me if I'm wrong people, but last time I used it the software RAID,
on reboot it  insists on fscking and rebuilding the mirror entirely before
mounting (could just be the RedHat rc scripts though I guess) ?  Can the
software RAID come up with a broken mirror or will it insist on a
replacement disk for a rebuild?

> However, if I did go for hardware RAID, does anyone have
> recommendations for a controller that's supported by Linux?

I think Intel or Adaptec ( a friend showed me an Intel motherboard server
with one in it) have release an reasonable priced SCSI controller that can
do RAID. (it can be configured without expensive memory sticks)

Ian.