SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Personal sacrifice and free software
- To: Peter Rundle <peter.rundle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Personal sacrifice and free software
- From: Raoul Golan <raoul.golan@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri Feb 23 12:08:01 2001
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Gnus/5.0807 (Gnus v5.8.7) Emacs/20.7
Peter Rundle <peter.rundle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I think that we should try for a name change. The trouble with
> "free" in the English language is that it has two meanings.
> We need to the emphasize "Freedom" and not "costs nothing" which
> implies cheaper than cheap, which then implies poor quality.
> Terms like "Freedom software" or "Liberty Software" are closer to
> the desired meaning but don't sound very catchy. Where's that
> damn thesaurus. How 'bout "Libelle Software"?
"Libre" software seems to be in widespread use in the US. Problem
is it's not catchy, and I haven't seen it being used outside the
US. "Libre" is spanish for "liberated". "Gratis" is spanish
for "no cost".