SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Hardware recommendation
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] Hardware recommendation
- From: Nicholas Lawrence <nlawren@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu Feb 22 07:16:01 2001
I'm putting together a new Linux firewall box for bigpond cable and
am having fun trying to decide between two motherboards.
Doing the relevant googling and archive searches, I have ended up
with two choices:
1. An Asus board with an onboard Realtek 8139.
2. An Aopen board with an onboard Intel 82559.
The case I'm going to use requires a half-height NIC which will be
I noted in my research that the Realtek is not rated very highly
performance but appears well-supported.
The Intel 82559 is supposed to be very good for both speed and
support but a few notes in linux-kernel August last year suggested
problems with 2.4pre recognising onboard variants. There didn't
seem to be any followup after that.
For background - the addon card would be plugged into the cable
modem, the onboard into a 100 switch.
I know that the Aopen board would be the better buy but:
1. An additional $100+
2. The Asus board has a nice connector for a front monitoring
Apologies for the long-winded post - I guess my question boils down
1. Is anyone having problems with 1 or 2 8139 cards in the same
2. The Intel seems to be a very popular choice - would it be worth
investing in (I know worth is relative but the difference is 128meg
of ram <g>).
Thanks for your help.
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices! http://auctions.yahoo.com/