Re: [SLUG] Routing question

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Des Wass wrote:

> I have a small dilema that is going to cause me big trouble tomorrow.
>
> I have two sites, Sydney and Melbourne, with a linux gateway at each site.
> There is an ISDN link from each to the Internet. Each network in Sydney and
> Melbourne is also connected via a permanent Frame link.
>
> This company has an intranet site and a telnet application which they run as
> core-critical.
>
> What they want to run the telnet and intranet over the frame link and
> everything else over the internet links as follows:
>

>   ---Internet-----LINUX-------LAN
>                           Frame-Relay
>                     (Ports 80 and 23 only)
>   ---Internet-----LINUX-------LAN
>

> What is the best way to do this?

That's a routing issue more than a protocol issue.

Simply have your default routers at each site point across the frame relay
link for the specified destination IP addresses rather than spraying it
out into the internet.

I'd be more concerned, if I were you, at the possibility of a
core-critical application being accessable from the internet! If I
understand you correctly, users in Sydney would telnet out through the
internet link in Sydney, and then come back in through the internet link
in Melbourne? This is a recipie for disaster, speaking from a security
point of view!

DaZZa