Re: [SLUG] what version

Steve Kowalik wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:59:47PM +1100, Tom Massey uttered:
> > Ben Donohue wrote:
> > >
> > > hi slugs,
> > > what's the command to find out what version of linux you are running.
> > > i've got some old redhat boxes fired up and want to see what they've
> > > got.
> >
> > Try 'cat /proc/version' - I think that should work.
> >
> That will you show the version of _kernel_ you're running.

True... But isn't that what the _version of Linux_ really is? (as in
"I'm running Linux {6.2|7}" really doesn't mean much, and probably won't
for 50 years or so if ever (Damn that'd be cool though, a 6.2
kernel...)) Sorry, I'm probably being pedantic. I just like to
distinguish between versions of Linux (kernel) and versions of distros.

> [steven@mail steven]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)
>
> Those, or close relatives are what you are looking for, I'd say.

Most likely you're right, this is what he's looking for. :-) But now I'm
tripping out because I just found an /etc/redhat-release on my Mandrake
box. It's a symlink to /etc/mandrake-release. They really should get rid
of this.