Re: [SLUG] LaTeX: a random walk.

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 10:43:01PM +1100, Bill Bennett wrote:
> I'm trying to understand some of the classier programmes
> to be found in The LaTeX Companion. Not easy, although it would
> help if some of them worked when you ran them.
> P.144, The random walk in PSTricks is what's the matter.
> Can anyone tell me what \setrandim (so spelled) does?
> I can't find it in the LaTeX programme anywhere.

Just saw this messgage tonight and didn't notice a reply. Ah well
not much to do while debian does an upgrade of the Alpha so....

www.google.com search for \setrandim leads us to a latex file
%% Curves-RandomWalk.tex --- Example of iterative drawing
%% Author          : Denis GIROU (CNRS/IDRIS - France)

which uses the command in this line
\setrandim\X{0pt}{1pt}

Before its use however the latex file reads in
\input{random.tex} % From Donald Arseneau (on macros/generic on CTAN)

so we look up this on CTAN at http://www.ctan.org

  random = Generating "random" numbers in TeX.
  "Generates pseudo-random integers in the range 1 to 2^{31}. Macros are to
  provide random integers in a given range, or random dimensions
  which can be used to provide random `real' numbers, are also available.
  See also lcg"

If you go to a ctan mirror, download the package, and install it,
it will probably contain documentation describing all.

Bill, that sounds like a neat pstricks program :-)

Mike
--
A man was reading The Canterbury Tales one Saturday morning, when his wife asked "What have you got there?" Replied he, "Just my cup and Chaucer."