From: Mike Lake [mailto:Mike.Lake@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, 16 November 2001 12:59 am
To: slug
Subject: Re: [SLUG] PostScript to PDF via virtual printer

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 10:30:15AM +1100, luke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Just stumbled over this too, last night.  It avoids the need to buy
> expensive PDF creation software from Adobe.
> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/bright.html

Yes it's an ace "trick". I have setup a few Windows PC's here to use a
virtual PostScript printer (usually a colour HP laserjet) and ps2pdf to
enable users to create PDF files. Whats really most interesting though is
that most people believe that you MUST have Adobe Distiller to create any
PDF files. I often get M$ Word files submitted to some web sites I run
with the comment from the user "I don't have Distiller so I can't create
PDF". Alas Adobe markets so well :-(

Mike
(who still prefers ps over pdf as I can lift up the bonnet of ps and fiddle
with the carburettor)
--
We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers.

Michael Lake, University of Technology, Sydney
Work: Mike.Lake@xxxxxxxxxx Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Home: http://www.speleonics.com.au
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.