SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] renaming root to Root
- To: "Goldfinch, Andrew" <Andrew.Goldfinch@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] renaming root to Root
- From: DaZZa <dazza@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon Nov 5 12:50:01 2001
- Cc: "'slug@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Goldfinch, Andrew wrote:
> OK guys, here's a challenge.
> I have managed to rename root to Root in my /etc/passwd.
> I cannot logon as Root as my /etc/shadow refers to the uname not uid.
> Am I royally screwed? I am on SunOS 5.8
And you ask this on a Linux list exactly WHY?
ObHint - boot from your install CD to a system, then fsck and mount
appropriate slice, edit /etc/passwd to put root instead of Root, shutdown,
reboot, viola. Exact details of how to do this are left as an exercise to
Renaming the Superuser account is a dumbshit idea. Don't do it again.