Re: [SLUG] Re: Login problem help!

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:56:33PM +1000, Angus Lees wrote:
> \begin{Tom Massey}
> > Mandrake stores it's configuration for kdm in /usr/share/config/kdmrc.
>
> ouch. FHS says this should be in /etc - and for several good reasons.
> i'd consider that a fairly serious bug against the mandrake kdm packaging.

Yes, it is a bit peculiar. Though only a bug I think in the Debian sense
of not conforming to a given standard. (Yes I know there are other reasons
this should be in /etc). I have a vague idea that all the
KDE stuff in Mandrake was originally stuck in /usr when Mandrake was
pretty much just Red Hat with KDE, back when Red Hat didn't want to include
KDE because of license issues. So to maintain Red Hat compatibility, Mandrake
stuck KDE config stuff into /usr rather than put it in /etc, and confuse
Red Hat people. And so it remains. Ah well. At least it's not in /opt :-)

All this may be apocryphal, it's just a story that some guy who knows
the dog of one of the Mandrake developers passed on to me. And it may have
changed in Mandrake 8.1 which has apparently just hit the ftp servers.