[SLUG] Rescue operation.

I'm hbaving trouble with my laptop, which is running Mandrake.

For some reason, I boot up and the process goes to the cheerful penguin,
ticking off the tasks. It stops at "Mounting USB files" and refuses to budge.

It could be that the hard drive is faulty (this was a suggestion),
or it could be something else.

I've been told that Redhat has a rescue programme on the two CDs, although this might
not work for Mandrake.

I suggested that simply re-installing Mandrake from the disks (which I have) might work, but even if this were
possible, would I not lose the data files (which are important)?

Any suggestion would be gratefullt considered.

Regards,

Bill Bennett.