SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Linux CE
- To: Dave Morrison <dave.morrison@xxxxxxxxxx>, slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Linux CE
- From: Jon Biddell <jon@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri Sep 14 20:11:07 2001
At 17:14 14/09/01 +1000, Dave Morrison wrote:
Picked up a Compaq ipaq the other day and was just wondering if anyone
has messed around with the linux CE ports? Just wanted some input...
I looked into it when purchasing my new PDA (went for a Palm M505 - mainly
because it DOESN'T run WINCE !!!)
According to Compaq australia;
1. We do not support Linux on ANY product (yeah, right - how come you sell
servers with it pre-installed)
2. If you load Linux on it and want to go back to WinCE, you have to send
it off to the USA for the ROM to be re-flashed.
3. I wouldn't try it (Compaq's words, not mine).
When I quizzed them on how many of their guys have IPAQs, and how many had
tried Linux on them, one of the guys said he had, but didn;t like it (no
apps !!!), so went back to WinCE.
Ah ha !! Did he send it to the USA ? No, he reflashed it HERE. Would he
give me the software to be able to do that ? Of course NOT !!
So I bought a Palm - more apps, no Microsoft Tax, and a greater level,
IMHO, of geekiness....
P.S. The M505 with a leather case and 64MB MMC card (making a total of
72Mb) cost LESS than the bog standard IPAQ - although my boss DOES have one
with a 192MB PCMCIA card AND a 2Gb IBM Microdrive
attached....bastard,..... I can rest easy and gloat, however, at his (lack
of) battery life and the size of the brick he has to carry...:-)