SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] how can i echo * character
- To: CaT <cat@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] how can i echo * character
- From: Tony Green <greeno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri Sep 14 16:18:02 2001
- Cc: Jeff Ai <Jeff.Ai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Slug (E-mail)" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
* This one time, at band camp, CaT said:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 03:41:53PM +1000, Jeff Ai wrote:
> > Fixed by Tony Green
> > STAR='*'
> > echo "$STAR"
> That's very convoluted. The following will work:
> echo "*"
> echo '*'
> echo \*
It really depends on what you are after.
If you want to print a variable containing *, then this is the way. If
you just want to print a *, then your way works.
GnuPG Key : 1024D/B5657C8B
Key fingerprint = 9ED8 59CC C161 B857 462E 51E6 7DFB 465B B565 7C8B
Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation
-Alan Cox 04/05/2001