[SLUG] hp2pbm

I am trying (again) to convert pcl files (output for an hp laserjet
printer) to something else (say a tiff or pdf).

There doesn't seem to be much on google that I can understand.  I have
found references to hp2pbm which seems to have something to do with troff
or psroff-3.0.  However, I can't find what these are or how they relate to
file conversion.  They seem to be something to do with text formatting
which sounds promising but I can't seem to find any details.

I have found a package called netpbm which looks like it will convert pbm
files to just about anything.  I just need to get the pcl to pbm bit.

Can anyone shed any light on this or suggest other options?

regards
Steven