[SLUG] Apps in a browser

Hi Slugs,
A small organisation I do some charity work for has asked about moving
entirely off windows and onto Linux.
Not a problem to help them there.
What I was thinking was that they have low end computers and I was
thinking along the lines of thin clients, then browsers, then apps
through a browser.
So heres the question.
Is there a way to setup a linux workstation with just a browser and have
all the apps appear in the browser?
As in word processing, spreadsheet, database, etc.
First is it possible?
Second would it work on low end pentiums?
Anyone have any experience along these lines or is it a dumb idea and
i'll just stick staroffice or koffice or whatever on them?
Ben