Re: [SLUG] ADSL with modem failover

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > It's a bit complex, yes - and it needs a providor of ADSL who knows
> > Telstra's service sucks, and understands the need for a dial backup - but
> > it's perfectly workable.
>
> I think you've described the perfect world scenario. :) Pacific is good
> enough to provide the backup, but I think the administrative overhead would
> rule out doing it strictly "The Right Way".

Of course I have. I *am* a network design engineer, after all. :-) We
*always* do it the perfect way - manglement are the ones who cut budget
and stuff things up after we provide working solutions. :-)

> I think what they're doing is good enough, at least for the majority of
> their clients (who would have no idea how to deal with it otherwise).

There would be practically no administrative overhead with this method. An
extra line in thr router configuration, and an extra allocation of an IP
subnet for the point-to-point line on the dialup.

Anyway, you asked why I'd do it the way I did - I answered. The mechanics
are left as an exercise for the reader. :)

DaZZa