Re: [SLUG] UPS recommendations?

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Robert Norris <srn@xxxxxxxxx>
To: DaZZa <dazza@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Stephen Robert Norris <srn@xxxxxxxxx>; <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] UPS recommendations?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 01:57:29PM +1000, DaZZa wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Stephen Robert Norris wrote:
>
> > I'm shopping around for a UPS (work's going to pay for it - or at least
> > for part of it).
> >
> > I've got 4 PCs, a scanner and a few bits of network hardware that need
> > to run on it, plus at least one monitor (21"). My rough estimate would
> > be that that's about 600-700VA.
>
> Not even close.

<<Really? Why? The compliance plate maximum draws for the power supplies
are in the order of 200W each, and the monitor is 120W, so that's less
then 1KVA.

At work we have 20 machines with similar power supplies and their total load
is less than 5A at 240V... That includes a 15" monitor.>>

Watts does NOT equal VA.

You must remember the power factor as well.

As well as that, it doesn't mean your equipment will last more than 30secs
uptime in an outage.

Jon Teh