Re: [SLUG] Another report from the trenches

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 07:38:48PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > A question for debian experts : is it possible to take the dselect
> > database, have it tell you what changes _you_ made (e.g.  /etc/printcap)
> > and bundle all up in a load and go for other machines?
>
> This is a BIG missing feature with Debian's releases to date. I highly
> recommend FAI (Fully Automated Install) to solve this problem.

dpkg-repack might go part of the way.

Package: dpkg-repack
 dpkg-repack creates a .deb file out of a debian package that has already
 been installed. If any changes have been made to the package while it was
 unpacked (ie, files in /etc were modified), the new package will inherit
 the changes.

You would have to note (manually or automagically) which files you edited,
and rebuild the packages they belong to, dpkg -S /etc/printcap would tell
you which package to rebiuld.

I'm not sure if its in potato though.

--
	chesty