Re: [SLUG] Telstra ADSL & Debian vs RedHat

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Michael X Haynes wrote:

> Hi there, Well I've been using Linux for the past 4 years for uni work
> and havent looked back. I now plan to go broadband which is just great
> for the linux box (linux without internet is not that great
> right?). So I wanted to see if anyone has got ADSL running
> effectively, and get a judgement of its service. My first preference
> would be Optus Cable, but this building has a poor management and the
> network is reluctant too ):

Telstra ADSL sucks. It's down often, unreliable, and the service is
crap. That said, it's cheap for what it is, very easy to set up under
linux, and I like it a lot better than I liked dial-up. If you can get
cable, get it, if you can't, get ADSL. By the way, linux without the net
is fine, either as a lan server or as a standalone home machine.

> Lastly I have a friend who swears by the virtues of Debian over
> mainstream Linux e.g RedHat, my current setup. Who will argue his
> case? I may just change if someone can convince me. ;) Leviathan P.s
> What is the program that gives those crazy quotes at the bottom?

Isn't his case already convincing?

Personally, I prefer Debian. I used to use Redhat, but a while ago some
things they did pissed me off (the rpm thing, the gcc thing, and the
respin thing). Mainly the rpm thing really. I tried Suse, but I had a
fair bit of trouble with it, so then I tried Debian. I haven't looked
back. Now I'm in a position where I have to use Redhat at work, so I
have both a Redhat and Debian install at home. I still only really use
Debian for my own stuff. Why? A number of reasons, like apt and dpkg,
and layout.

There are some points against Debian as well though, like for example,
the fact that often the only source of a package is the maintainer, and
in some cases, like mozilla, the packages can get way behind. For
example, I believe the current mozilla package in unstable is M18, and
if it's not, it was till recently. Mozilla's a fairly substantial
compile...

Ultimately, you should try them out for yourself, if you feel the
need. Exploring different distros will give you a better feel for how
the OS really works.

cheers,

Martin