From: Bernhard Lüder [mailto:bl@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 11:53 PM
To: 'Bill Hiley'; slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [SLUG] win4lin

Hi,

I have just been playing with VMware Eval License and I found it realy easy
to install and doco was great as well. However, despite 700Mhz and 128MB, I
find the performance quite bad. Lots of jerkiness especially during disk
intensive operation. Maybe it's not quite correctly tweaked yet, but I will
have another go anyway.

However I also had a go at Win4Lin a while ago and found that quite easy to
install as well (except for the Kernel patch) and performance was definitely
better. However no networking at that stage (Is there networking support
now?).

Price for VMware is also high at US$299!!!!! ~A$550 and you also need your
windows license.

So you will need to consider what you want to do. If you are steering away
from MS you might be better off with WIN4LIN, but if you need full support
of Windows (perhaps even 2000 and NT, which supported by VM, but not yet by
WIN4LIN) go for VMware.

Evaluate them both. They let you download for free.

Bernhard Lüder
ICQ 26070583