Re: [SLUG] Synchronous network ?

At 17:44 23/09/2000 +1100, you wrote:
How about having the nodes in a cycle, where each one transmits, after
which the next one either transmits data or a "I'm here but no data
to transmit", so the next one could.

<snip>

Are there drivers to perform this ? What would be involved in writing
such drivers ?

What you're describing is basically token ring. I don't know of ethernet drivers or cards that support this, but then I'm hardly the authoritative source :) Switches, bridges and routers are all affordable and will work to increase the number of broadcast domains and reduce the saturation of each segment. This is probably what you'd be wanting to do in a situation where utilisation is becoming a problem.

Alexander.