SLUG Mailing List Archives
[SLUG] Serial Cables and Power Supplies
- To: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [SLUG] Serial Cables and Power Supplies
- From: Chuck Dale <bug@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed Sep 13 01:16:00 2000
- User-agent: Mutt/1.2.5i
I currently look after two collocated boxes and would like to have
better remote management facilities.
I am thinking to put a null modem cable between the two boxes which
would then give me the ability to have console access to the other box
if one of them decided to do something like not boot a newly compiled
1) What sort of cable do I need? Null modem?
2) How do I attach to the serial line? My first clue would be to
more /dev/ttyS0 and cat commands to it but that seems rather
3) How do I set up a getty listening on the serial port?
I want it to work both ways so that if either box goes down I can use
the remaining box to mess with the dead box.
Also I am thinking it would be good to have a remotely switchable UPS so
that I can toggle power to the boxes when something bad happens like
someone stops sshd. Any ideas on what models provide this feature and
how it is generally done - by serial connection or SNMP or ?
[ charles hamilton dale <bug@xxxxxxxxx> ]