SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Allowing users to write to dos partition.
- To: Sydney Linux Users Group <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Allowing users to write to dos partition.
- From: Ken Yap <ken@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Oct 31 13:40:39 2000
- Reply-to: ken@xxxxxxxxxx (Ken Yap)
>> This way the ownerships are done at the VFS for the whole fs, and not
>> inside the fs as chown was trying to do.
>Thanks greatly for this. Although the gid=502 solved the
>problem I still had no idea why just changing the
>permissions didn't work lie it does on a normal ext2
>partition. Now I understand WHY.
The short and long of it is that FAT FS don't have per file ownerships.
The ownerships are "inherited" from the mount options. If you want more
than one user to be able to write to the file, then use Unix groups.