SLUG Mailing List Archives
RE: [SLUG] Large IDE hard drives
- To: "'slug@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: RE: [SLUG] Large IDE hard drives
- From: Marty Richards <marty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Oct 31 12:57:59 2000
- Organization: Netway Networks Pty Limited
- Reply-to: "marty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <marty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tuesday, October 31, 2000 10:47 AM, Ken Yap [SMTP:ken@xxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> >I'm wanting to get a large IDE hard drive for an old Pentium 120 I have
> >here, I'm wondering if there's a limit to the size I can use - I have a
> >feeling the BIOS is limited to 8Gb or something in the older machines.
> >The question is, am I able to fully use a large IDE drive in linux even
> >though the BIOS doesn't support it?
> It doesn't matter to Linux after it's booted because it has its own
> drivers and doesn't use the BIOS. So go ahead. Just make sure the boot
> partition is under 1024 cylinders for the purpose of booting.
And under 65535 cylinders if you want to use it all... or has someone found a neat way around this?