SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Large IDE hard drives
- To: Sydney Linux Users Group <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Large IDE hard drives
- From: Ken Yap <ken@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Oct 31 10:46:48 2000
- Reply-to: ken@xxxxxxxxxx (Ken Yap)
>I'm wanting to get a large IDE hard drive for an old Pentium 120 I have
>here, I'm wondering if there's a limit to the size I can use - I have a
>feeling the BIOS is limited to 8Gb or something in the older machines.
>The question is, am I able to fully use a large IDE drive in linux even
>though the BIOS doesn't support it?
It doesn't matter to Linux after it's booted because it has its own
drivers and doesn't use the BIOS. So go ahead. Just make sure the boot
partition is under 1024 cylinders for the purpose of booting.