[SLUG] How I make X work in Debian (Was Debian newbie guide for existing linux users)

Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > So lets assume for a moment I want to get X windows working, preferably
> > with Helix Gnome.
> >
> > Where do I start?
>
> First off, run either:
>
>   a) tasksel, and choose the "X Window System" task, or,
>
>   b) apt-get install task-x-window-system

Both of these commands insisted on installing the VGA16 server.  When I
aborted the X configuration it would complain it didn't work, and run
the config again.  Repeat untill I hit Ctrl-C.

Eventually I figured out that 'apt-get install xserver-SVGA' would
install teh SVGA server, complete with a little graphical configuration
thingy.  It had Diamond Viper 770 in the list of cards, and worked
fine.  I'll worry about getting the mouse wheel working later.

> Then, to install Helix Gnome, you need to add the Helix Gnome repository to
> your /etc/apt/sources.list file (you'll find the appropriate line on the
> Helix Code website) and then run:
>
>   apt-get install task-helix-gnome

I figured out that if I burn the Helix-gnome .debs to a CD I can use
'apt-cdrom add' to add the CD to the list of availabe packages, and then
'apt-get install task-helix-gnome' will prompt for teh CD.

Or do I need to do more to the CD than just burn the .debs on?  The
actual debian CDs include a .disk folder, but that just seems to contain
a file with the full name of teh CD in it.

 - Doug

  Network Operations Engineer - Big Pond Advance Satellite
 Ericsson Australia - Level 5, 184 The Broadway, Sydney 2000
  Ph: +61-416-085-390   Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx