[SLUG] Custom kernels on debian

I've compiled a custom kernel for my gateway machine, using the make-kpkg
utility with --revision=hostname.1, as described in the make-kpkg docs.

My /etc/apt/sources.list looks like this:
# Stable distribution
deb ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Stable sources
deb ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian dists/proposed-updates/

# Stable updates
deb-src ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free

Now, when I run "apt-get dist-upgrade", it tries to replace my custom kernel
with the one found in dists/proposed-updates.  My kernel is the same version
as the debian one, but it's been patched with the new NIC drivers.  How can
I stop my system trying to overwrite it with the debian kernel?

Cheers,
Peter