Re: [SLUG] backup using rsync and file permission

Ian Ward wrote:

  As
> administrator, you will need to keep UID/GID consistent between the two
> systems.

Is it possible to copy the passwd, shadow and group files from one
system and have them work another?

I just tried it here and it worked fine but are there any
not-immediately-obvious problems with doing this?  This system is
running as a backup for another server, and I can duplicate the contents
of the home directories without problems (I'll install rsync later
today, tar -> ftp -> untar is rather inefficient ) but I obviously need
to duplicate the user details as well.

 - Doug

  Network Operations Engineer - Big Pond Advance Satellite
 Ericsson Australia - Level 5, 184 The Broadway, Sydney 2000
  Ph: +61-416-085-390   Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx