Re: [SLUG] Removing Dirs in CVS

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 07:38:59PM +1100, Adrian van den Dries wrote:
> Don't delete the directory! You:
>
> (make sure <dir> is empty, apart from the CVS dir)
> cvs rm <dir>
> cvs commit
> cvs update -P
>
> and the directory should be gone.

For the lazy sods amongst us (me, me, me!), it is worth knowing about
~/.cvsrc as well. This is a file that is read to get options that are
applied to each cvs command every time you execute that command. For
example, my one looks like:

	cvs -q
	update -P -d
	diff -u

(indented for readability ... left justified in real life).

This means, always use the -q (quiet) option for any cvs command, use -P
(prune empty directories) and -d (get any new directories) when running
an update and pass -u (unified diff format) to the diff command.

The second line, in particular, means that you never have to worry about
empty directories again. :)

Cheers,
Malcolm

--