Re: aic7xxx.o (Re: [SLUG] One for the Kernel Guru's)

>You shouldn't have the driver for your root disk compiled as a module,
>it needs to be in the kernel (or did I parse that wrong?)

Not so. That's exactly one motivation for initrds, to have a generic
kernel (e.g. distro kernel) that can boot on different SCSI disks
without having to compile all the adapter drivers in. The initrd
containing all the SCSI driver modules is loaded along with the kernel
by the bootloader, i.e. the BIOS, so the kernel doesn't need the Linux
driver for the root disk in the kernel.