[SLUG] Setting window manager in Debian.

I am trying to change my window manager in debian, without success.

I installed gnome from the helixcode deb via apt-get. The default window
manager is window maker.

I then installed the sawmill window manager, also from a deb via apt-get.

I now have an option under window managers to change to sawmill. However
it only changes it for the current session and there are no menus/icons
available.

I have tried doing a update-alternatives --config x-window-manager but as
soon as I change it off window maker the X session never starts up.

Also the machine boots into xdm which I dislike but I can't find where/how
it is getting started.

Any help is appreciated.

Rodos