SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] CLID software ?
- To: Howard Lowndes <lannet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] CLID software ?
- From: Grahame Kelly <grahame@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Oct 17 08:34:29 2000
- Cc: Mail List - SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Organization: Wild Possum
- Reply-to: grahame@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Is there any means by which I can get a modem to pass the CLID of an
> incoming call over to Linux so that I can work with it against a
> database. A search on Google has not turned up much of relevance.
I use XCallerID to retrieve the CallerID from my modem, look up a MySQL DB,
then output the corresponding voice file that lets us know who is calling -
so that we know if to answer the phone or not without being around the
Linux system (works even better if you interface the "line out" to a
el'cheapo FM transmitter - or if you are really game, tune it to the IF of
your home radio || TV system so it doesn't matter what channel you or the
family are tuned to). I also was looking at once interfacing a "one chip"
RS232 to TV signal that would display the Caller Name on the TV for
Further XCallerID developments have been folded into
the latest (early 2000) releases.