Re: [SLUG] tar extract -> out of time_t

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 08:50:04PM +1100, Michael Lake wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know what this error message from a tar archive
> means? There is nothing in the man pages for tar on this.
>
> 	tar: Archive value 2872975643983 is out of time_t range
> -2147483648..2147483647
>
> It occurs for both t and x tar options. Is it complaining
> about some problem with a time stamp perhaps?
> The archive itself seems to have extracted OK.

what version of tar was used to create the archive, and to extract
it? On what architectures was it created and extracted on?

time_t is usu. defined (for GNU libc) as a long int
(/usr/include/bits/types.h). These are 64 bit values on alpha, 32
bit elsewhere (I say cautiously; check the values for LONG_MAX in
/usr/include/limits.h and /usr/*/include/limits.h).

or maybe a stray cat or gamma ray got into your tape drives ...

Conrad.