Re: [SLUG] Miguels Unix Sucks paper and sluggers thoughts.

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 04:10:20PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> HTML doesn't offer the description of information that XML does, nor does it
> offer the flexibility with regards to such things as entities. In fact, the
> next few iterations of the GNOME documentation system will show how powerful
> this is. :)

My only exposure to large scale XML docs has been the PHP manual which
monstrous and is produced entirely in XML with diff languages and
everything. There's a case study on it lurking about on the zend.com site
AFAIK.
Additionally, I'm working on a project where we produce XML files for print
ad online and at the same time, we parse it and slurp everything into 2000
database records all in one handy wee loop from parsing XML.
Without knowing jack at the mo about things like XSL and so on, I have to
concur with Jeff. While HTML was invented to be simple and to allow people
to work within a narrow field, it's time has come and gone. Much more
powerful tools will supercede (sp?) it and it's only a matter of time.
Actually, you only have to look at Word2000 HTML output. It's heavy on the
XML as I recall. :)

Cheers,
 Graeme