Re: [SLUG] Re: Linux news on slashdot

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 02:12:34PM -0800, raster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> people why cry "open source" for the drivers mainyl don't knwo the
> market, the reasons or whats going on.

I admit, I don't know the market.  But I've never understood the need for
closed source drivers.  The argument is usually along the lines of
"if we open source our drivers our competitors will reimplement our
product".  But a driver should just be an interface between the OS and the
device.  All of the implementation should be in hardware, giving away the
interface isn't going to help your competitors reimplement your device
(it may help them make a compatible device, but who would make a card that
is compatible, but slower than existing video cards).

The only reason I can think of for proprietary drivers would be in the
case of devices such as winmodems that do most of their work in software.
In the case of video cards I would hope that this isn't an issue.

--
enterfornone - insert clever comment here
http://www.enterfornone.com/