SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Older i386 looking for buff firewall. Must know how to handle bad packets...
- To: "Aaron Binns" <abinns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Older i386 looking for buff firewall. Must know how to handle bad packets...
- From: Ken Yap <ken@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue Nov 28 12:25:53 2000
- Cc: slug@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Reply-to: ken@xxxxxxxxxx (Ken Yap)
>cannot handle any more ram chips and I don't want to spend a heap of dosh on
>chips for such old equipment. So can Linux really handle a 386 sx with 4mb ra
>(stable with decent uptime).. or have I found my first myth & untruth about
>Linux? heck Id been looking forward to seeing Linux run on the old box.
Mate, you'll need 8 MB to run a firewall. If you can't put more SIMMs in
the box, come around and I'll give you an old 386 box.
Linux does run on a 386, but you do need enough memory for the task.
With 4 MB you could a few pico sessions maybe, not firewalling.