Re: [SLUG] email list management information

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 12:56:47PM +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> I have just started to notice on a few of the mailing lists that I
> subscribe to this footnote appears on the message:
>
>     [ Note: This message contains email list management information ]

Sounds like you use Pine. Click on the link that Pine gives you.

Depending on the List-* headers you will have access to post, subscribe,
unsubscribe, hassle the admin, see the archive.

> and looking in the headers I find the likes of:

> Can someone elaborate on this, what list manager provides it (I know one
> is ezmlm), and any other useful doco as I definitely have a use for this.

RFC2369.

> Has anyone noticed whether this footnote appears in mail clients other
> than Pine, which I use.

It also appears in Eudora to the best of my knowledge. It only started
appearing in Pine 4.21 -- except all mail clients to do something
useful with it shortly.

If I remember rightly the graphical ones will start putting in a `List'
menu that give you access to the various options.

Anand