[SLUG] DAT drive problem

My DAT tape drive has stopped working.

I can rewind and unload tapes fine, but when I try to do a dump I get

[root@stravinsky /root]# /sbin/dump -0 -f /dev/nst0 /
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Jul 26 16:19:24 2000
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/hda1 (/) to /dev/nst0
  DUMP: Label: none
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 64900 tape blocks on 1.67 tape(s).
  DUMP: Volume 1 started at: Wed Jul 26 16:19:25 2000
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: write error 10 blocks into volume 1
  DUMP: Do you want to restart?: ("yes" or "no")

An additional symptom is that the rubber feet on the drive unit (an
external box) have melted and left gooey puddles on my desk...  so I
fear the beast overheated at some point and is broken.  I will borrow
a cleaning tape and try that, but does anyone have other suggestions?

Danny.