[SLUG] Perl splitting help

Hi all,

I have a problem as I don't know Perl very well and need to do the
following:

1. Grab a file containing a list of people and phone numbers seperated by a
| .eg.

--- playlist.txt---
George Vieira|0410123123
Another Person|0414321321

2. Split the lines into fields so I can print each field into a cell in a
table.

This is what I have so far but don't understand how "split" works and only
get 1 character. At the moment the bottom is a mess and fails miserably but
just to give you an idea what I'm trying to do...

@players;
open (FILE, "/tmp/playlist.txt") ||
          die "Cannot open file for reading\!";
while(<FILE>)