RE: [SLUG] OT: FreeBSD and tape drives.

You probably need to rummage round /dev rather than /proc
Also man tar on their machine will probably tell you the default tape device
name,
eg /dev/rmt0 or /dev/mt or whatever.
mt status
should tell you the status of the default tape drive and whether a tape is
loaded.
man mt for other things.
These tools are fairly consistent amongst the various flavours of Unix but
the device naming isn't.

Regards,

Jill.

Jill Rowling
Senior Design Engineer & Unix System Administrator
Electronic Engineering Department, Aristocrat Technologies
3rd Floor, 77 Dunning Ave Rosebery NSW 2018
Phone:	(02) 9697-4484		Fax:	(02) 9663-1412
Email:	rowling@xxxxxxxxxx