Re: [SLUG] mp3 software

Wrote James Wilkinson on Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 05:59:50PM +1000:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Dennis M. Gray generated:
>
> >Can anyone recommend MP3 software for Linux. I want to be able to record
> >from CDs.
>
> get abcde, lame (or gogo), cdparanoia.
>
> abcde is a fantastic front-end for ripping cds to mp3, lame is your
> encoder (GNU patches to the original Frauenhofer source) and cdparanoia
> is possibly the best cd audio extraction program ever written.

Hear-hear!

I've used notlame (which is a patch on lame which is a patch on the ISO
encoder...) for about 800 songs now and I like the quality. It has
Variable Bit-Rate encoding which is very freaky - the kbps count changes
as you play the song in XMMS/WinAmp etc. Get good compression but
excellent quality.

BladeEnc used to be faster but its quality sucks - go notlame. I think
notlame now claims to be faster these days, but it still takes ages on my
PIII 500.

Go freshmeat.

Grip is a great front end for doing the ripping, although I haven't
tried abcde.

Chuck