[SLUG] free software?

Angus Lees wrote:
> (i should probably read the license first, but..)

There is no licence, that's the major problem.
(http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/dist.html is hardly a licence.)

> so does that mean that when a distro (for example: debian) decides
> they want to patch the source to change a default path, or something -
> they can't distribute the resultant binaries? (without renaming it to
> "dnscache-debian" or some other shenanigans)

My concern is that it's not even clear that they would be allowed to do
the latter - ie, change the binaries *and* the name.

I understand that DJB is a genius and no one should ever want to modify
his code or change the way he does things, but I feel that people
should do the right thing because they choose to, not because they are
compelled to.

And what happens if Bernstein is run over by a bus tomorrow?  In the
absence of any formal licence covering his code, who knows what the
executors of his estate could do.

Danny.