Re: [SLUG] Win2k & Debian/Mandrake

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 10:37:13PM +1000, Roland Turner wrote:
> This is the stuff of religous wars...

Adding some fuel.

> Same things that others are saying: package management and
> configuration.

After using debian for years (buzz was my first) then lately trying
redhat because some people at work were more comfortable with it,
debian wins hand down with administration.

> For the most part, RedHat's UI is nicer looking,

It's interesting reading comments like this, I'm not sure why
people like redhat's UI better than debian, they both offer the
same window managers and gnome, etc, just configured a little
differently. But redhat looks better, weird.

Helix gnome is very nice, and very easy to install on debian,
so I don't think you can say redhat's UI is nicer looking any more.

> If you do go ahead and download the .deb archive, you'll find yourself
> needing to get more intimate with the package management system than you
> might wish.

dpkg -i package.deb

> I'd suggest running potato or woody, as you see fit.

It took me about 12 hours to get woody last week.

--
	chesty