Bonobo vs. CORBA (Was: [SLUG] Miguel's "Unix Sucks" Paper)

John Wiltshire wrote:

> However it is fairly clearly COM -> Bonobo, not DCOM -> Bonobo (Gnome
> already used CORBA and switched to Bonobo because CORBA didn't quite fit).

I won't argue the COM heritage either way, but will point out that Gnome
did not "switch" from CORBA to Bonobo. CORBA is (broadly) an
architecture for brokering requests between objects, in a
language/OS/CPU-type/location transparent fashion. Bonobo is a component
architecture, expressed as a series of CORBA interfaces.

- Raz