Re: modem connect speeds (was Re: [SLUG] Telstra ADSL RIP-OFF)

> Sounds about right to me. But I think there's a difference in the speed
> a 56k modem can upload and download - downloads should be faster,
> because there you're changing digital to analogue, which should work
> better than the analogue to digital required for uploading info. I think
> I've got that the right way around. :-) Bottom line is - a 56k modem can
> download faster than it uploads. In theory you can get a full 56k
> download speed, but not upload (all depending on line quality).

Thats right you are capped to 33.6 K upstream, and you only get 56K
downstream if your ISP has digital lines all the way from there office to
the exchange they use.

Jason

--
GnuPG Key 2450EEDC Jason Rennie<jwrennie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Key fingerprint = 1A2B 5E34 B45A 2871 A488  99C7 7579 5FFC 2450 EEDC