SLUG Mailing List Archives
Re: [SLUG] Linux -v- M$ Costs
- To: Howard Lowndes <lannet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [SLUG] Linux -v- M$ Costs
- From: Mehmet Ozdemir <mehmeto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed Aug 9 18:36:12 2000
- Cc: Mail List - SLUG <slug@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Mail List - Oz-ISP <aussie-isp@xxxxxxxxxx>
> The areas I am looking at are:
> Firewalls and Internet connectivity. What does M$ need here?
Firewall there are various firewall product around not sure of prices.
As for connectivity, Win2k does have internet connection sharing out of
> Licence fees. I can get these worked out.
10 user Win2k, $2026.00 inc gst
> Mail server. Does M$ need Win2K server and M$ Exchange server?
There is/was a sendmail port for NT called Vintra mail. Priced a $US250
per site (unlimited users), I used to use it on NT for around 200 plus
users, for over 2 years. It worked really well. Once installed the only
thing required to create a mail account was:
1. the creation of a home dir for the user.
2. this home dir added to the local path in the profile.
> Internal file & print server. I assume Win2K server will do here.
> What does it cost for this lot to be set up by a COMPETENT M$ bod?
would probably be around 5-10 hours. Most charge between $85.00 -
$125.00 an hour
> Costs of maintenance and support down the line and ease of remote
see above for costs, Remotely Anywhere this is what you need it cost
around $us99.00 a box.
hope that helps.