Re: [SLUG] mail service outages

John Wiltshire wrote:

> Just because there is a single IP address doesn't make it a single point of
> failure.  As you mentioned, it is possible to have a farm of mail servers,
> though you forget that you can have multiple routes from the internet
> channeling into the farm, with multiple Cisco Director style machines doing
> the load balancing.

Interesting. Now that I think about it, I can see that something could
be achieved in this way. It seems a little baroque though. Thanks for
pointing it out.

This of course doesn't explain an 18 hour mail outage. That still
indicates the existence of a single point of failure (or the possibility
for interruption to service from multiple inter-related failures) in
Telstra's network. There really is no excuse for this

- Raz