[SLUG] why windows for adsl? (was Re: ISPs and Permanent Static IPs)

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 02:37:45PM +1000, Jon Biddell wrote:
> Then there's the question about a "windows only" install - I've been told
> from a (usually) reliable source that they will not connect anything up if
> you aren't running Evilware - why the hell they just can't bring their
> laptop to verify the service works and leave it at that I don't know -
> personally, I wouldn't let a telstra tech touch any of my machines anyway.

yes, that was a little silly..

we brought a windows box in specially (we had to find a cdrom drive
too), and let them install on that. (took our network card out, so we
got theirs too - SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (uses rtl8139.o)). they even
had to run an extension cord since we had the phoneline installed near
the linux boxes, and not near the desk at the other end of the room.

as soon as they left, i moved the modem over and got it going under
linux.. even their phone support techs answered my questions (to the
best of their knowledge), knowing i was using linux..

heh, i just checked the "minimum recommended specs" from
http://www.telstra.com.au/adsl/cqk_easy.htm

they say:
 P133
 32Mb ram for win95 or 64Mb ram for 98/NT
 1G for a new system or 100M for just the modem software
 4Mb video memory
 AGP graphics card
 cdrom, browser, 95/98/NT4/2000
(a P133 with an AGP slot?)

we're using:
 33Mhz 486 DX/2
 8Mb ram
 some crappy vga card
 200Mb drive, 80Mb used
 the company doesn't own any cdrom drives

oh, and its also doing the usual firewalling, masquerading, etc of
course.

--
 - Gus